CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 10, 2008

This is why I shall remember

A brave Sergent who tried to save his friends in that dried up river bank in Afghanistan
A bride at 18, Ortona widow by 19
Some of the stories i heard today hit home.

Before I went to Notre Dame,
remembrance day was just another day
it really meant just a moment of silence
but i didn't know what to think about

Now over the few years at notre dame
a teacher who strives for the students to
listen,
understand,
and learn,
about why we should remember...

Every year I listen to stories,
about war veterans, widows, historians and historic reinactors
telling us why we should remember
and every year i burst into tears
trying to understand what they went through

Listening to their stories means a lot.
They are sharing their memories,
which is our Canadian history
take the time to listen to a veteran and you'll understand

It boggles my mind to see so many empty seats
wear the veterans would sit
It was just 6 years ago that it was filled with veterans
but it was just two years ago what we lost the last
of our veterans of WWI

Today i wear this poppy,
with pride
with knowledge
and respect.

On the eleventh month
of the eleventh day
of the eleventh hour
I will stand in silence
with my poppy on my heart
remembering those who wore the uniform
so we don't have to.

0 comments: